Let’s be honest, we’re all praying for the sun to make an appearance this summer. However, while we’re enjoying the sun, we need to make sure our pups are happy and safe. Like humans, dogs can also suffer from heatstroke. Unlike us, they cannot sweat through their skin so they rely on panting and losing heat from their paw pads, ears and nose to regulate their body temperature. So let’s dive into how to take care of your pup in the warmer weather.
Signs of heatstroke
Before we take a look at how to keep your dog cool, it’s also important to spot the signs of heatstroke to you can contact your vet and get your pup the help they need. Common signs include…
- Heavy panting
- Trouble standing
- Bright red gums
If your pup has symptoms of heatstroke, move them to a cool place, wet their coat with cool (not freezing) water and contact your vet immediately.
Ways to keep your dog cool
Like most things, prevention is the best cure. When you see those temperatures creeping up, it’s important to keep your dog cool. Here are a few tips to help you out…
- Shaded spots - Make sure your dog has shaded areas, away from direct sunlight for them to lounge in.
- Plenty of water - Encourage your dog to stay hydrated by placing bowls of fresh, cool water around your home and garden. If you do go on a walk take a bottle with you!
- Time your walks - On hot days take your pup for a walk either in the evening or morning to avoid the warmest parts of the day. It may also be a good idea to keep walks sorter on hot days.
- Cool treats - Make tasty treats to keep your dog cool! Ice cubes with your pup's favourite food inside or freezing a Kong with treats is a great way to do this. OMNI is the perfect addition to your pup's Kong as it’s healthy and delicious.
- Paddling pool - If your dog loves the water fill a paddling pool with water. Make sure to keep an eye on your doggo when they’re playing to make sure that they are safe.
- Cooling mat or damp towel - These are great to place around your home and garden for your doggo to lounge on.
- Grooming - Loose fur acts as insulation so a daily brush will help to keep your dog cool.
Here for you
You may have noticed that in warm weather your pup eats less. Don’t worry this is totally normal! When they are ready for a tasty meal OMNI is a great healthy dog food that tastes good. You may even experience some of these reported benefits of plant-based dog food…
- More energy
- Better toilets
- More shiny coat
- Better breathe
Get your OMNI delivered straight to your door with our subscription! You’ll also get a bespoke 6-month health plan for your pup and a monthly call with our expert vet team to dive into this further. Keep your dog happy and healthy this summer with OMNI.Shop now